I would like to share this AMAZING brown butter cream cheese frosting!
I am not fan of cream cheese and last time when I baked carrot cake, I didn’t really like it.
I mean the cake was good but only the frosting.
And I wanted to make it different this time but I wasn’t sure what I was going to do till last moment.
Maybe cream cheese frosting with different recipe?
Or just lemon icing.
To be honest, I was ready to go for icing, being simple, just butter and icing sugar and lemon zest. I even bought lemons.
But then I wanted to try something new. (Even thought this cake was for my baby’s birthday party)
And I searched some frosting recipe and found a brown butter cream cheese recipe here.
WOW that sounds amazing!! But is it good on my carrot cake??
But it was a great decision! Brown butter’s nutty flavor really matched with my spiced carrot cake.
I changed the original recipe a little bit.
This would go with chocolate or spiced cakes and caramel!
Brown Butter Cream Cheese Frosting
- 110 g butter
- 200 g cream cheese
- 400 g icing sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Melt the butter and soon it will start foaming up.
- Watch carefully and stir occationaly.
- After about 5 minutes, it will start browning.
- You will see brown bits on the bottom of the pan and smell nutty aroma.
- Remove from the heat and pour into a heat proof bowl, leave it to cool.
- Put it in the fridge until solid.
- Beat the solid brown butter. Add the soften cream cheese.
- Beat in icing sugar and vanilla until smooth.
- If you wish to make it softer frosting, add a little bit of cream. Or if you wish to make it thicker, add icing sugar.